Wednesday, September 10, 2008

personal narrative draft

Time flies by when your having fun, you know that saying? I never really cared for that saying but this summer was an excellent example of that. It was already the last day of July and the following day was August 1st. For the month of August, it has been a tradition for my grandparents to rent out the same apartment for family and friends to bond. I was in shock that the last month of summer has arrived; however all I could think about was what I was going to pack for the upcoming weekend in West Hampton. Even though I had the whole day to pack, the moment I woke up I rushed over to my closet. I swung open the door and ignored the ongoing sounds of my hanging beads that hit the door over and over again. Those sounds would normally irritate me but I had so much excitement built up inside of me, I just wanted to pack everything. First I grabbed my usual sleepover bag, went into my dresser and packed the clothes I needed for 2 nights. Then I went into my bathroom and grabbed the basics: my toothbrush, straighter, makeup and face wash. My grandma earlier told me I could bring a friend for the weekend, so I called my friend Leanne. I invited her and she was thrilled to come.
Of course, the next words she spoke were, “What should I bring to wear?”
I simply replied, “Bathing suits, dresses and pants you know.” The conversation ended with when I said ill call her when my grandma and I are on our way to get her. I’ve bragged to Leanne many months before how much fun West Hampton will be and I just remember how glad I was that the day was finally here. The next morning at 7:00 am, we picked up Leanne and were off to our 45-minute road trip to our destination, West Hampton. When we arrived, we carried our bags up to apartment number 82 where the key was laying under the mat. Every year I look forward to seeing our apartment, even though I know it’s the same one every time. It’s just the feeling I get knowing more memories will be created here. The door opens and I quickly show Leanne our room, we jug our luggage, throw on our bathing suit and were off to the beach. Since we woke up early, it was perfect we would just lie on our beach towels, read magazines and nap. As dinnertime arrived, we crossed the street back over to the apartment where we would take showers and get ready to go to eat in town. Margarita grill is a quick and tasty restaurant so Leanne, my grandma and I ate our food there. While eating our tacos, my grandma shares a frightening lightening and thundering story. She goes on describing how there was a bad storm one day and these two teenager boys were under a tree and they were struck by lightening and were terribly injured. Knowing my grandma she purposely shared with us that story because she heard there was a possible storm happening that night. Now that dinner was out of the way, Leanne and I were craving to meet new people. We were hopeful, just wishing for a good time because we knew about the storm. Unfortunately the possible storm came true, it was awful. With frowns on our faces, we headed back to the apartment early. We didn’t want to end the night like this, so we thought we might as well have a good time with the rain. In the parking lot of my apartment, we danced! We kicked and jumped in the puddle, screamed and sang a lot and called it a night.

No comments: