Friday, September 12, 2008

NARRATIVE

Jackie Wilde
Mrs.Baione-Doda
Creative Writing
12,Septmeber 2008
Narrative Story

Ring! Ring! Ring! I gradually rolled over to reach my alarm clock and I slammed the off button. The alarm clock never does its job, but my quick glance at my un-packed bags gave me an urge to wake up. I stretched and bounced straight out of bed, not a single stumble. Today was a different day.It was already the last day of July and the following day was August 1st. For the month of August, it has been a tradition for my grandparents to rent out the same apartment in West Hampton. I was in shock that the last month of summer has arrived. Time flies by when your having fun, you know that saying? I never really cared for that saying but this summer was an excellent example of that. However all I could think about was what I was going to pack for the upcoming weekend in West Hampton. Even though I had the whole day to pack, the moment I woke up I rushed over to my closet. I swung open the door and ignored the ongoing sounds of my hanging beads that hit the door over and over again. Those sounds would normally irritate me but all the excitement built up inside of me distracted me. I went to my dresser and picked out clothes for the next two nights. Then I went into my bathroom and grabbed the basics: my toothbrush, straighter, makeup and face wash. My grandma earlier told me I could bring a friend for the weekend, so I called my friend Leanne. I invited her and she was thrilled to come.Of course, the next words she spoke were, “What should I bring to wear?”I simply replied, “Bathing suits, dresses and pants you know.”The conversation ended with when I said ill call her when my grandma and I are on our way to get her. I’ve bragged to Leanne many months before how much fun West Hampton will be and I just remember how glad I was that the day was finally here.The next morning at 7:00 am, we will pick up Leanne and then we will be going on our 45-minute road trip to our destination, West Hampton. When we arrive, we will carry our bags up to apartment number 82 where the key is laying under the mat. Every year I look forward to seeing our apartment, even though I know it’s the same one every time. It’s just the feeling I get knowing more memories will be created here. The door opens and I quickly show Leanne our room, we chuck our luggage, throw on our bathing suits and we rush to the beach. Since we woke up early, it was perfect we just rolled out our beach towels, read magazines and naped. When dinnertime arrived, we crossed the street back over to the apartment where we took showers and got ready to go eat in town. Margarita grill is a quick and tasty restaurant so Leanne, my grandma and I ate our food there. While eating our tacos, my grandma shared a frightening lightening and thundering story. She went on describing how there was a bad storm one day and these two teenager boys were under a tree and they were struck by lightening and were terribly injured. My grandma purposely shared with us that story because she heard there was a possible storm happening that night. Now that dinner was out of the way, Leanne and I were craving to meet new people. We were hopeful, just wishing for a good time because we know about the storm. Unfortunately the possible storm was definite. There was frowns on our faces, so we ended up heading back to the apartment early. We refused to end the night like that, so we thought we might as well have a good time with the rain. In the parking lot of my apartment, we danced with the rain! We kicked and jumped in the puddles, shouted and sang a lot and then called it a night. I read the note my grandma left on the kitchen table out loud to Leanne, “Honey I left for a run, there’s bagels in the refrigerator.” My stomach makes a familiar noise singling i'm hungry. Since we woke up around 11 am, we were in a hurry to eat quick and meet my family that were already down at the beach. Almost forgetting towels, we made it to the beach 30 minutes later. The sun was shining, our feet were burning in the sand and the waves were calm and clean. For these reasons, it made Leanne and I really want to float around in the water for hours. So we did just that for as long as we could. As time passed, the sun went down and it was time to rinse off our sandy bodies in the shower. When we were all showered and dressed up, Leanne and I went off by our selves for the night. We followed the curvy roads to town where we grabbed a bite to eat. Next as the bands in the side streets played their music, we walked around with big widened eyes looking for people to meet. At least the bands and the shops entertained us for a few hours because we had no luck with meeting new people. We would walk back and forth seeing the same people, just wishing to see new faces however realizing that wasn’t happening tonight. Leanne and I couldn’t make up our minds, to stay in town and wait longer or walk on the beach and take pictures. It was a mystery to even the both of us of which one we would end up doing.The mystery was over; we decided to walk to the beach. At this point, there was a full moon hanging high in the sky and stars floating around. It was late at night and past my curfew. We just breathed in the late summer air and tried to jump over the big puddles along the way. When we arrived to the beach, it was so dark besides the few glowing stars. It was different when we were walking along the road; there were at least cars with their lights on driving by. There were also no people around, I was feeling tense and a little nervous but Leanne comforted me and reassured me that everything was fine. We then climbed up the lifeguard chair and the view that existed made me for a lost of words besides “wow!” We were pretty high up so we overlooked the whole ocean, it was just beautiful how the dark, shadowed ocean looked with the horizon filled with shades of pick, yellow and orange. We would sit back and predict when a big wave was coming and watch it crash along the shore, leaving one of a kind rocks and shells on the beach. As we were thinking this view couldn’t possibly get any more magnificent, a bold strike of lightening appears over the ocean. Its sounds reminded me of fireworks and its appearance was so powerful. Every time it appeared I just couldn’t take my eyes off of it. Leanne and I felt so lucky, I remember thinking this all wasn’t real. As we just sat there so amazed, I see this long shadow walking towards us. I start panicking to Leanne…
“Leanne there’s someone behind us, I told you something like this was going to happen, I had a bad feeling when we first arrived!”
Leanne answers with authority. “Jackie just stay calm we will wait till he walks down the beach a little to leave.”
“No way! I’m leaving now!”
I didn’t let one second go by; I just jumped off and started walking away quickly. Leanne whispers…
“Jackie wait for me.”
When she catches up to me, we started to move our feet faster until we reached the boardwalk. When our feet touched the boardwalk, I caught my breath and felt like someone reached into my body and pulled out all the scared energy away from me. We walked away with big smiles.

No comments: