Thursday, September 18, 2008

finished narrative

Ring! Ring! Ring! I gradually rolled over to reach my alarm clock and I slammed the off button. The alarm clock never does its job, but my quick glance at my un-packed bags gave me an urge to wake up. I stretched and bounced straight out of bed, not a single stumble. Today was a different day.It was already the last day of July and the following day was August 1st. For the month of August, it has been a tradition for my grandparents to rent out the same apartment in West Hampton. I was in shock that the last month of summer has arrived. Time flies by when your having fun, you know that saying? I never really cared for that saying but this summer symbolized that. However, all I could think about was what I was going to pack for the upcoming weekend. Even though I had the whole day to pack, the moment I woke up I rushed over to my closet. I swung open the door and ignored the ongoing sounds of my hanging beads that hit the door over and over again. All the excitement built up inside of me distracted me. I went to my dresser and picked out my favorite clothes for the next two nights. Then I went into my bathroom and grabbed the basics: my toothbrush, straighter, makeup and face wash. My grandma earlier told me I could bring a friend for the weekend, so I called my good friend Leanne. I invited her and she was thrilled to come. Of course, the next words she spoke were,
“What should I bring to wear?”
I simply replied, “Bathing suits, dresses and pants you know.” The conversation ended with me warning her we might not go till nighttime. I’ve bragged to Leanne many months before how much fun West Hampton will be and I just remember how glad I was that the day was finally here. We arrive, the door opens and I show Leanne around my apartment. It was already dark out, so we decided to go to sleep early and be well rested for the next day.
As most people were eating their lunches, we were just waking up. It was in the afternoon and we were in a hurry to eat and meet my family at the beach. Almost forgetting towels, we made it to the beach thirty minutes later. The sun was shining and our feet were burning in the sand. Also I couldn’t forget how the water was so clean and calm. When the sun disappeared into the clouds, Leanne and I went off by our selves for the night. At this point, there was a full moon hanging high in the sky and bright stars floating around it. We just breathed in the late summer air as we walked back towards the beach. Along the way we tried to jump over the big puddles and avoid getting soaked by the cars that would drive through them. When we arrived to the beach the glowing stars were our only light source. It was different when we were walking along the road; there were cars with their lights on. There were also no people in sight, I was feeling tense and nervous but Leanne reassured me that everything was fine. We took our shoes off and walked bare footed along the beach. As we reached the lifeguard chair and climbed up it, the view that existed made me for a loss of words. We were pretty high up, so we overlooked the entire ocean; it was beautiful how the dark, shadowed ocean looked with the horizon filled with shades of pick, yellow and orange. We would press our backs against the life chair and let our feet hang. When a giant wave was coming, we would watch it crash along the shore, leaving one of a kind rocks and shells. As we were thinking this view couldn’t possibly get any more magnificent, a bold strike of lightening appears over the ocean. Its sounds reminded me of fireworks and its appearance was so powerful. Every time it appeared I just couldn’t take my eyes off of it. Leanne and I felt so lucky, I remember thinking I was having a dream. It was simply something I’ve never seen before. As we just sat there so amazed, I see these shadows walking towards us. The shadows consisted of a big and small one. As I slightly turned around, I realized it was a man and it’s dog. I start panicking to Leanne…
“Leanne there’s someone behind us, I told you I had a bad feeling when we first arrived!”
Leanne answers with authority. “Jackie just stay calm, we will wait till he walks down the beach a little to leave.”
“No way! I’m leaving now!” I didn’t let one second go by; I just jumped off and started walking away with speed.
Leanne whispers…“Jackie wait for me.” When she catches up to me, we started to move our feet faster until we reached the boardwalk. When our feet touched the boardwalk, I caught my breath and felt like someone reached into my body and pulled out all the scared energy out of me. We walked away with big smiles.

No comments: